Monday, December 16, 2013

Drum Tuning is a Pain in the Ass

I have never been much of a drummer, but I always get drumming duty by default somehow so I've been trying to learn all the shit a drummer needs to know about drums. It's a pain in the ass. The good thing is it will not only help me to drum better, but help me to record drums better as well. So that's nice.

This Tape Op article does the trick fairly well


And here is a pretty rad video from the dudes at Preservation Sound. I dig it.




And these Bob Gatzen jams are cool too. I like the way this guy talks, he's got a chill vibe.


My only issue with a lot of these drum tuning tutorial kinda things is that they all focus on making everything sound like shit that's already been done. I mean I get that the usual approach is learn the rules, then break the rules, but I'd like to see a little more breaking going on. Or at least weird tuning or something. I tuned my snare drum so it sounded like total shit and was making this weird sort of middle eastern-y ringing sound the other day and I gotta say, that was real cool. Not for every session, but a cool sound for one or two songs for sure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment